The proposed change to Article 12 of the CWA Local 1120 By-Laws was ratified by a vote during the November 17, 2022 Quarterly Meeting.
LOCAL OFFICERS, BUSINESS AGENTS, STEWARDS
AND THEIR DUTIES
SECTION 1 – LOCAL OFFICERS
- The Officers of the local shall be:
- Local President
- Local Executive Vice President
- Local Secretary/Treasurer
B. The duties of the Local Officers shall be as follows:
- The Local President shall:
- Be responsible for the conduct of all local business.
- Preside at local meetings, local executive board and local officers meetings.
- Prosecute grievances and appeal them to higher levels.
- Supervise all local committees.
- Approve all bills to be paid.
- Perform whatever additional duties may be assigned by the local or required by the policies or Constitution of the Union.
- Coordinate activities of the Business Agents; coordinate action taken at meetings, and compile reports from the Business Agents.
- The President shall hold no other office except that of convention delegate.
- The Local Executive Vice President shall:
- Work under the direction of the Local President.
- Perform whatever duties as may be assigned by the local, local Executive Board and local President.
- The Executive Vice President shall hold no other office except that of convention delegate.
- The Local Secretary/Treasurer shall:
- Maintain a record of the local membership.
- Record and maintain the minutes of all meetings of the local, the local Executive Board, or local officers.
- Furnish the International Vice President and the Secretary/Treasurer of the Union with copies of any changes made in these Bylaws within ten (10) days after such changes are made.
- Be custodian to all assets of the Local.
- Report to each membership on the financial status of the Local.
- Be bonded, as must any other person who handles the local funds or other property, in accordance with the local Constitution or any State or Federal Law.
- Cause the payment of all bills approved by the Local President.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Local Executive Board or the Local President.
- The Secretary/Treasurer shall hold no other office except that of convention delegate.
SECTION 2 – BUSINESS AGENTS
The local shall have four (4) Business Agents: Newburgh/Monticello area one, Poughkeepsie area one, Kingston area one, and Unit consisting of educational institution employees, hereafter, to be elected by the membership of the respective area or unit.
A. Effective at the completion of the November 2023 Executive Board Elections, the local shall have three (3) Business Agents: Poughkeepise/Newburgh area one, Cairo/Kingston/Monticello area one, and Unit consisting of educational institution employees, hereafter, to be elected by the membership of the respective area or unit.
- Duties of the Business Agent:
- The Business Agent will call and conduct meetings for the members. This is in accordance with the agenda and items adopted by the Executive Board.
- Business Agent will coordinate all reports with the Local President.
- Business Agents will be responsible for carrying out all Union Programs within his or her area.
- The Business Agent will be responsible for coordinating all grievance activity within the respective area.
- The Business Agent shall hold no other office except that of convention delegate.
SECTION 3 – LOCAL STEWARDS
- There shall be at least one (1) steward for each immediate supervisor’s group. Stewards shall be elected by the members of their group. Elections of stewards shall be held following the general elections by the newly elected Business Agent.
- The duties of the Local Steward shall be as follows:
- Work under the direction of the Local President and Business Agent.
- Perform whatever duties as may be assigned by the Local, Local Executive Board, and Local President.
- Stewards shall hold no other elected office, except that of convention delegate.
- Chief Stewards shall be appointed by the Business Agent.
- Duties of a Chief Steward shall be the same as a Steward’s.
SECTION 4 – EXECUTIVE OFFICER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO THE LOCAL
The Officers of the Executive Board cannot accept an acting supervisory position during their term of office. The Local will not accept their resignation for this purpose. All resignations will be reviewed by the Executive Board.
SECTION 5 – APPOINTMENTS BY THE EXECUTIVE BOARD
The Executive Board may appoint a temporary Business Agent, to perform all duties of that office, if in the event the elected Business Agent is unable. Such appointments shall remain in effect until the elected Business Agent returns to duty or until the members of the respective area take the necessary step to elect a permanent replacement.
SECTION 6 – ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT
The Assistant to the President shall perform all duties as may be assigned by the Local, Local Executive Board, and local President.